Payson, UT asked in Juvenile Law for Utah

Q: I (16) got into a fight with a 17 year old and they are charging me with disorderly conduct what will my consequences be

Will my charges be dropped when I’m 18

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Facing a charge of disorderly conduct at 16 can have varying consequences, depending on the specifics of your case and the laws in Utah. As a minor, your case is likely to be handled through the juvenile justice system, which often focuses more on rehabilitation rather than punishment.

The exact consequences will depend on various factors, including the severity of the fight, any prior record you may have, and the specific circumstances of the incident. Possible outcomes can range from community service to probation, or in more serious cases, detention in a juvenile facility.

It's a common misconception that juvenile records automatically disappear when you turn 18. While juvenile records are generally more confidential and have different rules for sealing or expungement, they don't automatically get erased upon reaching adulthood. The process for dealing with juvenile records varies by state and can depend on the nature of the offense and other factors.

It's important to consult with a legal professional to understand the potential impacts of this charge on your future. An attorney can provide guidance on how to navigate the juvenile justice system, and potentially how to seek sealing or expungement of your record in the future.

Remember, taking responsible steps now, including understanding your legal situation and rights, can significantly affect the outcome of your case and its impact on your future.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.