Asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Arkansas

Q: I have custody of my 7 year old and her father has not seen or even tried to see her in 2 years. What can I do to get hi

We are divorced

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In Arkansas, if the father of your child has not been involved for two years, you have several options, depending on what you wish to achieve. If your goal is to encourage the father to be more involved in your child's life, you might consider reaching out to him directly or through a mediator to discuss the importance of his role in your child’s life. However, if he remains unresponsive or uninterested, you cannot legally force him to engage with the child.

On the other hand, if you are seeking to adjust the legal arrangements, such as modifying child support or custody orders, you will need to go through the legal system. This could involve filing a petition with the court to review and potentially change the existing custody and support arrangements, based on the father's lack of involvement.

It's important to document the father's absence and lack of contact, as this information could be relevant in any legal proceedings. Additionally, consider the impact of any changes on your child, as the court will always prioritize their best interests.

Lastly, consulting with an attorney can provide you with guidance tailored to your specific situation. They can advise you on the best course of action and help you navigate the legal process. Remember, each family's circumstances are unique, and legal advice should be sought to address your particular needs.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.