Morgantown, WV asked in DUI / DWI and Civil Rights for West Virginia

Q: I live in West Virginia and have had three DUI convictions. How can I reinstate my firearms ownership? It's been a decad

It's been over 12 years since the completion of my sentence.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: In West Virginia, reinstating firearm rights after DUI convictions can be a complex process, particularly with multiple offenses. Your eligibility to regain these rights depends on several factors, including the nature of your convictions and the completion of all sentencing requirements.

Typically, for DUI convictions, if they are misdemeanors and not felonies, your right to own firearms might not be impacted. However, if any of your DUI convictions were charged as felonies, this could affect your ability to legally own firearms.

Since it's been over a decade since you completed your sentence, you may have some options. One potential step is to apply for a pardon or an expungement, if applicable under West Virginia law. These processes can remove the legal impediments to owning firearms that stem from a criminal record.

It's essential to consult with an attorney who has experience in criminal law and civil rights in West Virginia. They can review your specific circumstances, advise on the likelihood of success, and guide you through the necessary legal processes. Remember, each case is unique, and legal advice must be tailored to the individual circumstances.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.