Denver, CO asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Colorado

Q: I was ordered in custody court to take weekly random UA’s and have the results reported to my co-parent…

My co-parent and I were never legally married, and he was in fact, just recently released from parole. He hasn’t given one UA, nor provided results of any of his UA’s to the courts while I have submitted at least 42 clean ones. I feel violated being ordered to now take weekly random UA’s and against my will, sign a HIPAA form so he can view the results. We were never married! This is in Colorado, by the way. What can I do??

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Sabra M. Janko
Sabra M. Janko pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Colorado Springs, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: If you were ordered to take weekly UAs, it was for the safety of your clild. Congratulations on having clean UAs. The best thing that you can do is continue having them. If you do, when the court is satisfied as to the safety of the child, then the court will modify the order requiring that you take them.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.