Asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Oregon

Q: My son's father pays child support because i gave child support all of his information on his place of employment. He c

Can have visits but does not and does not call or check in regularly, sometimes 2 weeks without contact. If I were to petition to change his surname to mine or add to his via hyphen, would I have to get content from the father?

2 Lawyer Answers
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: In Oregon, changing a child's surname typically requires the consent of both parents, unless the court determines that such a change is in the child's best interest. If you want to change your son's surname, you would generally need to seek the father's consent. However, if the father is not actively involved in the child's life, and you believe that the name change is in the child's best interest, you may petition the court for the change without the father's consent. The court will consider factors such as the child's well-being, the relationship with each parent, and the reasons for the proposed name change.

Steven Leskin
Steven Leskin pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: I might suggest the following:

The child will become an adult at 18. At that point, your son can legally change his own name to whatever he would like. This option gives your son agency to make his own determination as to what he would like to be called independent of his fighting parents.

You can however find the form and additional information by searching Google for "Oregon Name Change Form." You will find the appropriate forms created by the Oregon Department of Justice, with instructions.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.