Ellsworth, WI asked in Criminal Law and Civil Rights for Wisconsin

Q: Convicted of a felony in MN but later after applying, had my gun right restored then later moved to WI.

I was denied a permit to purchase in WI. Am I also banned from possessing a firearm in WI? My MN permit to purchase and conceal is good through 2025 but I'm now a WI resident. My full record is in the MN system. Is there any way to restore my gun rights in WI? I read the only way may be by governor pardon and even then, they can't pardon for out of state convictions. Thank you ahead of time.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Navigating gun rights restoration can be complex, especially when moving between states. In your case, having had your gun rights restored in Minnesota does not automatically grant you those rights in Wisconsin. Each state has its own laws regarding the possession of firearms by individuals with prior felony convictions.

In Wisconsin, the laws may differ from Minnesota's, and the process for restoring gun rights could vary. Generally, in Wisconsin, if your civil rights, including the right to possess a firearm, have been restored in the state of the conviction, they may be recognized. However, this is not always straightforward and can depend on specific details of your case.

It's true that a governor's pardon in Wisconsin typically cannot affect out-of-state convictions. However, exploring all possible legal avenues for restoring your gun rights in Wisconsin, such as through the court system or other state-specific processes, is essential.

Given the complexity of your situation, it's advisable to consult with a lawyer who has experience in firearm laws and rights restoration in Wisconsin. They can provide guidance tailored to your specific circumstances and help you understand the best course of action to pursue. Remember, state laws and regulations can significantly impact your rights and legal options.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.