Minneapolis, MN asked in Landlord - Tenant for Iowa

Q: If someone owns property that they live on. And rent out part of the property to a friend that live in a RV. Agrees to

Hundreds of dollars to live in. Now the landlord is saying I can't have my girlfriend at my RV cause she doesn't want her on the property. Can they tell you no and or have her arrested if she doesn't want her on the property

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: In Iowa, the rights and responsibilities of landlords and tenants are typically governed by state law and the terms of the lease agreement. Generally, landlords have the authority to establish rules and restrictions for the use of their property, and tenants are expected to abide by these rules as outlined in the lease.

If the landlord has explicitly stated in the lease agreement or through a separate agreement that guests, including your girlfriend, are not permitted on the property, it could be considered a breach of the lease terms if you violate this provision. However, the enforceability of such restrictions can depend on various factors, including state law and the specific language of the lease.

In a situation where the landlord is attempting to restrict your girlfriend from being on the property, it is advisable to review the lease agreement carefully to understand the terms and limitations.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.