Asked in Criminal Law for Colorado

Q: When Denver took over my Douglas County case that was to run concurrent with Denver, shouldn't it (Douglas County) have

ended when I successfully completed the Divert program and graduated from it in 02/23.

Shouldn't the Douglas case have also concluded?

I have since been arrested with a warrant for non compliance in the Douglas County case. But was never given any direction to follow up or with Douglas after completing the Denver case. Shouldn't they have ended together??

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Reid DeChant
Reid DeChant pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Denver, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: There are a couple possibly explanations as to how you got into this situation. First, I'd recommend hiring an attorney to help navigate your situation because they should be able to help get you out of this situation better than trying to navigate it yourself.

First, it is possible that Douglas never received any communication from Denver and that you didn't follow up to make sure the two counties were in touch. I often see where a client is sentenced to probation in Denver and also probation in Douglas and it is on you to make sure they communicate about what you are doing. You cannot just do probation in Denver and expect Douglas to figure it out.

Second, let's assume you did the work up front and they were in touch. It is possible your Douglas probation was longer or had other terms you did not complete. So while you completed Denver's terms, you didn't complete Douglas' terms.

Again, an attorney will be able to look at both cases, the probation complaint and help figure out the best outcome for you. This forum has the ability to attorney search for attorneys.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.