McDonough, GA asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Georgia

Q: Can I get custody of my nephew if im not blood related to him? Do I need to add my husband to the case since he is blood

We took care of my nephew for the last 2 and half years even though we were not his legal guardian while his legal guardian was homeless. She took him back because she got mad at me. Her household is violent and unstable and we want our nephew back.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Alake Colwell Furlow
Alake Colwell Furlow
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Dacula, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: The party who is blood related may have a better chance of obtaining custody. However, of course you can petition the court for custody yourself. You will have to prove being the child's guardian is what is in the child's best interests, and you may have some opposition from the current guardian, as they will need to be served. Your best chances of getting the best outcome would be to hire an attorney to handle this case for you, as it can be complex with you asking for custody of an unrelated child, and proving your case in chief regarding what's in the child's best interests.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.