Missouri City, TX asked in Criminal Law for Missouri

Q: Took plea of 5-10 yrs in Oct 2021 but left state and been on run ever since...what will happen if and when they find me

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV

A: If you took a plea deal for 5-10 years in October 2021 but left the state and have been on the run, several consequences may occur if authorities find you. Firstly, your failure to appear may result in the issuance of a warrant for your arrest. Once apprehended, you could face additional charges related to fleeing or absconding. Moreover, your original charges may still be pending, and the court could impose penalties for violating the terms of your plea agreement. Additionally, your decision to evade authorities might negatively impact any potential negotiations or plea bargains that were previously in place. Turning yourself in and addressing the situation responsibly may positively influence the legal process.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.