Omaha, NE asked in Family Law and Child Support for Kansas

Q: we have a shared expense plan, and my ex is refusing to pay his half of one of the items on the list. Want should i do

so we had a hearing yesterday and got child support established but he is not paying his part of one of one of the items on shared expenses. Right now, he owes me about $900 dollars. I have spoken with him about it and he refuses to pay for any of it. What can i do to get the money that he owes me?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: If your ex-spouse is refusing to pay his share of shared expenses, you may take several steps to address the situation. Start by documenting all communication attempts regarding the unpaid amount, including any messages or conversations where he refused to contribute. If there is a court order or agreement specifying the shared expenses, ensure you have a copy of it as evidence. In some cases, it may be helpful to engage a mediator or seek legal advice to explore options for resolving the dispute. If informal methods prove unsuccessful, you may need to file a motion with the court to enforce the shared expense plan and request the owed amount. Courts have the authority to enforce support orders, and your ex-spouse could face legal consequences for non-compliance.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.