Asked in Criminal Law for Tennessee

Q: What should I do? My ex just falsely accused me of molesting her daughter 4-5 years ago. Her daughter is now 18 y/o.

We split 5 years ago but remained friends. She went down a bad path after the split and I’ve always tried to help her when I could. Both of us hit a rough patch in our personal lives and to help each other out, we’ve been staying together for about 3 months. She has a drug problem though. Fentynal and meth. I want her to get help but no luck yet. Well I loaned her money a couple weeks ago and hasn’t paid me back yet so I brought it up today. It started a huge fight. It calmed down and went back to normal. About 6-7 hours later, we start arguing again out of the blue. She’s cussing me, telling me she hates me, calling me awful names… then when I start to walk out the door to get away she says “I know what you did to my daughter.” I ask several times what she’s talking about before she finally says “you touched her 4-5 years ago.” She claims she’s know about it since it happened. Then why do they still come visit me all the time? What should I do? I’m freaking out.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Troy L. Bowlin
Troy L. Bowlin
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Morristown, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: My recommendation is to do nothing at this point. I would not engage in any communication whatsoever regarding the accusations with anyone. There is a possibility these remarks were made out of anger and frustration during the heat of an argument. If the accusations continue to be made I would hire a lawyer. Again I would not communicate in any form whatsoever with anyone (other than your lawyer) regarding these accusations.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.