Lithia, FL asked in Public Benefits for Florida

Q: A friend of mine who was receiving food assistance in Florida died in September.

Her adult daughter just received a bill for over $5,000 stating her deceased mother made an error in 2019 in reporting the number of dependents. Her daughter was over 18 and not living at home at the time. Her daughter was estranged from her mother and knows nothing about this and certainly never received any of this compensation at the time. She is employed, but has a mountain of dept already and her wages are already being garnished due to other debts. Is she required to pay her mother's dept? This is in Florida.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
  • Freeeport, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: It's strange that the daughter received a bill. They may have sent the bill because they don't know whether or not the daughter is the personal representative of the mother's estate. If she has filed a probate petition and is the PR, the estate may be liable, but the daughter wouldn't be personally liable.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.