Bellevue, WA asked in Domestic Violence, Criminal Law and Family Law for Colorado

Q: By law it’s say you have to be served a dvpo atleast 5 days before hearing

I was served with only 2 business days before the hearing from a out of state 1200 miles away so I couldn’t make it tried calling courts but never got through plus I never got a final judgment notification do I have a appeal case to get it dismissed since it wasn’t properly executed

1 Lawyer Answer
Nelson Patrick Boyle
Nelson Patrick Boyle
  • Englewood, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: You will likely need to hire a criminal defense or family law lawyer, depending on the specifics of your case. There is a type of motion that may be applicable, depending on how much time has passed and other facts specific to your case. But, as often, time is of the essence since some of your rights may go away if you don’t act promptly (assuming they have not already been diminished). You might consider calling the Colorado bar association or visit its website ( to find some attorneys who practice in those areas of law.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.