Nashville, TN asked in Civil Rights and Landlord - Tenant for Tennessee

Q: My landlord passed away. I've been living there for going on 3 years. His kids are his beneficiaries and they just stole

Stole my stuff and changed the locks what do I do

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: I'm sorry to hear about your situation. It's important to know that as a tenant, you have rights that must be respected, even in the event of a landlord's passing.

First, if your belongings were taken and the locks changed without proper notice, this could be considered illegal eviction and theft. You should immediately report this to the local police. Document everything that happened, including what was stolen and any interactions with your landlord's children.

It's also essential to review your lease agreement. The terms of your lease typically continue to be in effect, even after the landlord's death, until the lease period ends or until a new agreement is made with the property's new owners.

You may need to seek legal assistance to regain access to your home and recover your belongings. A lawyer can help you understand your rights and the appropriate legal steps to take in this situation.

Remember, taking swift action is key in protecting your rights and resolving this issue as quickly as possible.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.