Edison, NJ asked in Divorce and Family Law for Georgia

Q: How can we protect finances frm your ex-spouse , coming back for alimony after the divorce final decree is in place?

Divorce final decree and parenting plan+ Child support is in place . Divorce final settlement agrrement was with no alimony as both the parties were independent financially. However,How do we protect ourselves from either of the spouses going after eachoher for alimony at a later point of time.

is it a best practice to put your funds in a trust by opening a new one, instead of having it in your personal account?

Please advise.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Christina Brown
Christina Brown
  • Marietta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Typically a Settlement Agreement incorporates language that prevents either party from seeking alimony after the final divorce decree has been issued.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.