Knoxville, TN asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for Tennessee

Q: If there is no parenting plan or custody order, do I need to let the others parent know that I’m moving?

This will be to a new city within the same state?

1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: In Tennessee, if there is no existing parenting plan or custody order in place, and you plan to move to a new city within the same state, you may not be legally required to inform the other parent about the move. However, it is generally advisable to communicate openly and honestly with the other parent about your intentions to foster a cooperative and amicable co-parenting relationship. Even without a formal custody arrangement, maintaining transparent communication can help build trust and avoid potential conflicts. If both parents can reach an agreement regarding the move and its impact on visitation or custody, it may contribute to a smoother co-parenting experience.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.