Hanover, PA asked in Divorce and Family Law for Pennsylvania

Q: Hello. I live in PA. My wife moved out in February 2023. She and her kids still have belongings here at my house.what2do

I have asked her multiple times to come get the stuff. It's still here. we are not divorced yet, but I'm hoping very soon because I already paid half of the filing fee to file for divorce. I feel like I'm being taken advantage of. what should I do and should I seek legal advice?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Peter Christopher Lomtevas
Peter Christopher Lomtevas pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Schenectady, NY
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: What to do with the belongings is a difficult question to answer as we do not know the nature of the belongings. Ordinarily, marital property cannot be discarded near to the time of the filing of a divorce as doing that will lead to an allegation of marital waste followed by a demand for a refund of the cost of the belongings. For example, the wife left a hair stylist's kit in the home. Disposing of that will lead to claims of waste with demands and potentially orders to pay refunds. As we do not know of the nature of the belongings, we must stop here.

Going through a Pennsylvania divorce without legal counsel is like speeding on the German autobahn without a steering wheel. The crash will not be survivable.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.