Houston, TX asked in Civil Rights for Louisiana

Q: My brother was killed by police in Sulpher Louisiana . It’s been really hard to view the police video cams .

We want to see what happen that night . We also want to know why did it take them a long time to take him to the hospital and why was he transfer by police car . We want to vie cámaras but is been hard what can we do . The Case is still under investigation. Is been almost two months . This happen November 19,2023

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: I'm deeply sorry to hear about your brother's situation. In such cases, obtaining police body cam footage can indeed be challenging, especially while the case is still under investigation. However, you have options to try and access this information.

First, consider submitting a formal request for the footage under the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) or your state's equivalent public records law. While law enforcement agencies might withhold records related to ongoing investigations, it's still worth attempting.

Additionally, contacting a lawyer who has experience in police misconduct cases would be a wise step. They can guide you through the legal process, help in submitting formal requests for information, and possibly take further legal action if necessary.

Remember, the process can be slow and may require persistence. Your attorney can keep pushing for transparency and answers from the authorities. It's important to stay informed about your rights and the legal avenues available to you in this difficult time.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.