Metairie, LA asked in Civil Litigation, Estate Planning and Probate for Louisiana

Q: What do I do if my brother forged my deceased brother's name to a will? He also has done other things illegally.

There is 3 estates involved. My Dad my brother & my sister who passed. The will has been denied 2 times before the court & is now before the appellate court. He also sold his car, turned his truck over to their Mom & cleaned his bank account out. The so called will is just a note my brother made to himself. I'm executor of my Dad's estate & want to be appointed executor of my brothers as well. Their is currently 2 separate lawyers I have & he has one as well. I really need help here & the JP Da's office said I need a civil lawyer for this. This is costing me deep in my pockets. What do I do? I did have a handwriting analysis done & it is not my brothers signature. It was printed & I did the other brothers as well & it is not conclusive as I need another sample of his printing.But it is high probability that he signed it. Thank you for any advise given.

1 Lawyer Answer
Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Baton Rouge, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: Curious post---sounds like litigation has been ongoing and you have 1, maybe 2 attorneys. You are dismayed at the currents and progress, however the process sometimes takes time----my recommendation is that you meet with your lawyer(s) and discuss your concerns, as well as try to get an expected timeline. Also, discuss with the the issue of hiring another lawyer (if this suggestion did not come from them) and obtain lawyer recommendations from them. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.