Cave City, AR asked in Adoption and Family Law for Arkansas

Q: In the state of Arkansas, may a step dad adopt without the fathers consent if the father was never married to the mother

Also the biological father has not had anything to do with the children in 2 years.. financial or physical contact

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: In Arkansas, the ability of a stepfather to adopt a child without the biological father's consent can be influenced by several factors. Typically, if the biological father has not maintained contact or provided financial support for the children for a specified period, the court may be more inclined to terminate his parental rights. However, the specific requirements and procedures can vary, and it's crucial to follow the legal process diligently.

In cases where the biological father was never married to the mother, his rights may be more easily terminated if he has not established a significant custodial or financial relationship with the children. Arkansas law allows for the termination of parental rights under certain circumstances, including abandonment.

To pursue adoption without the biological father's consent, the stepfather would typically need to file a petition for adoption in the appropriate court. The court would then assess the circumstances, considering factors such as the biological father's lack of involvement and support, to determine whether the adoption is in the best interests of the children.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.