Lexington, SC asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Tennessee

Q: In what type of situation can a father get custody to changed from mother to himself?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: In Tennessee, a father seeking to change custody from the mother to himself would generally need to demonstrate a substantial and material change in circumstances that directly affects the child's well-being. The court's primary consideration is the best interests of the child. Situations that might warrant a modification of custody include concerns about the mother's fitness as a parent, evidence of neglect or abuse, or a significant change in the father's circumstances that would better support the child's needs.

Common examples of substantial changes could include the mother engaging in behavior that poses a risk to the child, a deterioration in her ability to provide a stable and safe environment, or evidence that the child's needs are not being adequately met in her custody. The father would need to present compelling evidence to persuade the court that a modification is necessary for the child's well-being.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.