Clifton Park, NY asked in Animal / Dog Law for New York

Q: Our son is 28. He moved out. He is the legal owner of our family dog. But now will not allow us to even see the dog.

We always had a very good relationship with our son. We were the primary care taker of the family dog for 10 years while our son lived with us. Our son moved out and is living with a person who hates her parents. All of a sudden now our son hates us. We understand he does not have to see us but he is refusing to let us even see our beloved dog. He is the legal owner but when he first moved out we did see him and the dog often. There were a few months when he had his brother bring the dog over and that was working for everyone. But now our son has stopped that even though his brother still visits us weekly. We feel our son is acting like the family dog is a possession he can just take away from us. Under NYS law even though this is not a divorce case, can we take our son to court to have a mandated chaperoned visit? Do we have a case? Can we win?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Benjamin Z. Katz
Benjamin Z. Katz pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Animal & Dog Law Lawyer
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: If you are acknowledging your son is the legal owner and you do not wish to have permanent and sole possession of the dog, it would be difficult to convince a court to give you visitation rights. However, your burden would be to prove why it is in the dog's best interest for you to have visitation despite your son's refusal. It would be an expensive and possibly unsuccessful effort.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.