Helena-West Helena, AR asked in Estate Planning, Family Law, Civil Rights and Probate for Arkansas

Q: How do I get my grandmother's will probated after 2 years because my family will not do it

There are a lot of details and it's because of the corruption in the town and my family members

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: To initiate the probate process for your grandmother's will after a delay, you can file a petition with the probate court in the county where your grandmother resided at the time of her passing. This action can be taken even if other family members are reluctant or refuse to do so.

In your petition, you'll need to include details such as the date of your grandmother's death, the existence of a will, and the names of potential heirs. It's also essential to explain the reason for the delay in probating the will.

If you suspect corruption or undue influence within your town or among family members, it may be wise to mention these concerns in your petition. The court can then consider these factors during the probate process.

It's advisable to seek the guidance of an attorney experienced in probate law. An attorney can help you navigate the legal process, ensure that all necessary documents are properly filed, and represent your interests in court.

Remember, probate laws and procedures can vary by state, so it's important to be informed about the specific laws in Arkansas. An attorney familiar with local laws and practices will be able to provide you with the most relevant and effective advice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.