Denver, CO asked in Criminal Law for Colorado

Q: I have a case in for robbery and menacing. I also have mental issues and at the time of the incident I breakdown

If I had a mental breakdown what will happen to me? I can prove I was ill. I was asking for help from friends and family. There was no weapons involved I imagined a person outside saying they needed money and that what I told the person at the store

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Reid DeChant
Reid DeChant pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Denver, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: I would suggest hiring a private attorney (you can use the attorney search function on this website or on Google) or applying for a public defender. From the little bit you have shared, having a mental breakdown doesn't allow you to commit crimes. However, it certainly can be used as mitigation when negotiating a plea agreement for your case. You could get into treatment, show the DA your treatment along with an explanation about what was going on and convince them this was a one time thing that would never happen again. These are all things an attorney can and should help you with. Robbery is a very serious charge you should not try to navigate alone or with the assistance of random attorneys online.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.