Minneapolis, MN asked in Social Security for Minnesota

Q: I want to become my own payee

SSI assigned me a payee but I do not need one

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Social Security Disability Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If you're receiving SSI benefits and have been assigned a payee but believe you no longer need one, you can request to become your own payee. The Social Security Administration (SSA) allows beneficiaries to change or remove a payee if they can demonstrate the ability to manage their own benefits.

To start this process, contact your local SSA office. You'll need to provide evidence that you can manage your own finances. This could include a statement from a doctor or other medical professional indicating that you're capable of handling your financial affairs, or other documentation showing your ability to responsibly manage money.

The SSA will review your request and make a decision based on the evidence you provide. It's important to continue cooperating with your current payee during this process until the SSA approves the change.

If your request to become your own payee is initially denied, you have the right to appeal the decision. In such a case, it might be beneficial to seek guidance from an attorney who has experience in Social Security matters.

Remember, the goal of the SSA in assigning a payee is to ensure that your needs are met. Demonstrating your ability to manage your finances effectively is key to becoming your own payee.

3 users found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.