Moncks Corner, SC asked in Divorce and Family Law for Louisiana

Q: I would like to get divorced. I have lived in Louisiana for two years, my spouse is in California. We have no children.

We own a business together. I filed federal and state taxes in Louisiana (married separate). My spouse filed taxes in California (jt).

We own a condo together. We are broke. Barely getting by. I am unemployed. How can I divorce for least amount of expenses?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh
  • Baton Rouge, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: My answer is that if you are currently living in Louisiana, then you should file in Louisiana-----that said, you indicate that you own property, you do not mention your debt, if any, of the community, so I recommend that before you file that you at least consult with a family law/divorce attorney in Louisiana to discuss the entire process---divorce, spousal support, community property---and the best way to go about handling these issues. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.