Boca Raton, FL asked in Divorce and Family Law for Florida

Q: Is alimony in FL calculated on net income of a business if self employed or income tax return after itemized deductions?

So my husband wants me to sign a separation agreement in the meantime before going through the process of divorce but the problem is that his income the past year was just half the amount of what he will be making this coming year since he just have this business opened for the last 6 months. So if I do agree to that amount on the separation agreement can I later on request in court or through mediator an increase on alimony based on the income increase? How about also for child support?

Another question I have is what is the meaning of equitable distribution release?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rand Scott Lieber
Rand Scott Lieber pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Most important, do not sign anything without speaking with a local family lawyer. Child support is always modifiable until the child turns eighteen. Alimony on the other hand can be modifiable or non-modifiable. Equitable distribution means the division of the marital assets and liabilities. A waiver would mean that you would each keep what you have. Again, speak with a lawyer before you sign anything.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.