Phoenix, AZ asked in Personal Injury, Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Medical Malpractice for New Mexico

Q: What can I do about being given medication without consent during a mental evaluation involuntary at an ER room NM

And permanent injury did occur

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If you believe that you were given medication without your consent during an involuntary mental evaluation in an ER in New Mexico, and this led to permanent injury, you may have grounds for legal action. In healthcare, patient consent is a fundamental principle, especially when it comes to administering medication. There are exceptions in emergency or involuntary situations, but these are strictly regulated.

First, gather all relevant medical records and documentation related to the incident, including details of the evaluation and any treatment administered. This documentation will be critical in evaluating your case.

Consulting with an attorney experienced in medical malpractice and patient rights is a crucial next step. They can review your case, advise you on your rights, and determine whether there was a violation of medical standards or laws. If there is evidence of malpractice or violation of consent, your attorney can guide you on the appropriate legal action to seek compensation for any harm caused.

It's important to act promptly, as there are time limits for filing medical malpractice claims. An attorney will ensure that all necessary steps are taken within the legal deadlines. Remember, your health and rights are paramount, and seeking professional legal advice is the best way to address this serious issue.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.