Albuquerque, NM asked in Personal Injury and Civil Rights for New Mexico

Q: If I got a video of being accused of stealing and the employee looked in my girlfriend's purse and nothing assaulted me

And as I was recording him look in my girlfriends purse he walks away then turns around and smacked the phone out my hand and I got a video of it what can I do

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If you have a video showing an employee accusing you of stealing, searching your girlfriend's purse without consent, and then assaulting you by smacking your phone away, you have several options. Firstly, it's important to keep the video safe as it is crucial evidence of the incident.

You may consider filing a police report for the assault and any other illegal actions by the employee. The video can be used to support your claims in such a report. Additionally, you could contact the management of the establishment where the incident occurred to report the employee's behavior.

In terms of legal action, you might have grounds for a civil lawsuit for assault, battery, and possibly invasion of privacy or other civil rights violations. It's advisable to consult with an attorney who can review the video and advise you on the strength of your case. They can guide you on the legal steps you can take and how to seek compensation for any damages you suffered.

Remember, it's important to act promptly and preserve any evidence you have. This ensures that your rights are protected and you can take the necessary steps to address the situation legally.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.