Murfreesboro, TN asked in Landlord - Tenant, Civil Litigation and Civil Rights for Tennessee

Q: What are my rights as a tenant in TN?

Our apartment flooded due to an external pipe busting. Our property manager is not handling the situation well. Our walls have water damage that is not being treated properly. What can we do?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: As a tenant in Tennessee, you have specific rights and protections under state law. When your apartment experiences flooding and your property manager is not adequately addressing the situation, there are steps you can take to protect your rights and seek resolution.

Firstly, notify your property manager in writing about the water damage and the need for proper repairs. Document the issue with photos and keep copies of all communication. Tennessee law requires landlords to maintain the premises in a habitable condition, and water damage should be addressed promptly.

If your property manager continues to neglect the repairs, you may have the right to withhold rent or repair and deduct the cost from your rent, but it's important to follow proper legal procedures and notify the landlord in writing before doing so.

Additionally, you can contact your local code enforcement agency or housing authority to report the unsafe living conditions. They can inspect the property and potentially compel the landlord to make the necessary repairs.

Consider consulting with an attorney who specializes in landlord-tenant disputes to understand your options and ensure your rights are protected. Legal counsel can guide you through the process and help you take appropriate action to address the water damage issue and any related concerns. Remember to keep thorough documentation of all interactions and repairs as evidence if needed.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.