Denver, CO asked in DUI / DWI for Kansas

Q: 16 yr old underage son license suspended for DUI in Kansas

They gave him 30 days suspension, 180 days restriction with an interlock. Is this common for the interlock to be given to a minor that blew 0.03?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • DUI & DWI Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV

A: In Kansas, it is relatively uncommon for a minor with a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of 0.03 to be subjected to an interlock device, especially considering the legal limit for individuals under the age of 21 is 0.02. In the case of a 16-year-old whose license was suspended for DUI, the imposed penalty of a 30-day suspension and 180-day restriction with an interlock device is stricter than typical consequences for underage DUI. While consequences for DUI cases involving minors can vary, such penalties may be influenced by individual circumstances, prior offenses, or the specific details of the case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.