Dresden, TN asked in Real Estate Law for Tennessee

Q: My grandmother put my mom on the deed for ownership its states to her and her heirs. My mother passed recently and she's

Saying she needs me to sign something back to her. Is that me signing my rights to property away?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: If the deed to the property states that it is owned by your mother "and her heirs," and your mother has recently passed away, then her share of the property would typically pass to her heirs, which likely includes you. If your grandmother is asking you to sign something, it's essential to understand what you are signing and how it affects your rights.

It sounds like your grandmother may be asking you to sign away your rights to the property. Before doing anything, you should have a clear understanding of what the document is and what it means for your legal rights to the property.

It's highly advisable to consult with an attorney who specializes in real estate law. They can review the document, explain its implications, and ensure that your rights and interests are protected.

Remember, decisions regarding property rights can have significant and lasting impacts. It's crucial to be fully informed and to seek professional legal advice before signing any documents related to property ownership or inheritance.

Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: Apparently Grandmother transferred the property to your Mother. If no other deeds and no will probated, Mother's heirs now own the property because of intestate succession. Yes, she wants you to give up your share or fee ownership. A life estate/ remainder deed might be in order.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.