Parker, CO asked in Probate for Oregon

Q: One of my older brothers died with no will. No assets except a small checking account. Do we need to file probate?

His landlord has billed his estate for back rent, but there is no estate, and no estate assets. He died in Eugene, Oregon. Thank you.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Theressa Hollis
Theressa Hollis
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: I am sorry for your loss. If the amount of the back rent is more than the balance in his bank account there is no real reason to open a probate (or file a Simple Estate Affidavit) because there is nothing to inherit.

If the account is larger than the rent bill and is less than $75,000 you can file a Simple Estate Affidavit. A probate attorney can help you with this or you can use this form provided by Lane County:

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.