Hamtramck, MI asked in Civil Litigation for Michigan

Q: In Michigan, I missed the six months deadline to appeal a civil case. Is there anything with in the judicial process tha

That allows to file beyond the six months

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: In Michigan, if you've missed the six-month deadline to appeal a civil case, options to file beyond this period are limited. Appeal deadlines are generally strictly enforced. However, in exceptional circumstances, the court may consider an extension or reopening the appeal period.

These circumstances usually involve showing that the delay was due to factors beyond your control, like serious illness or other significant impediments. You would need to file a motion in the court explaining these circumstances and requesting an exception to the standard deadline.

It's important to understand that such requests are not granted often and the criteria for approval are stringent. The court will assess whether you acted diligently and whether there is a valid reason for the delay.

Given the complexities involved, it's advisable to consult with an attorney as soon as possible. An attorney can review your specific situation, advise you on the feasibility of seeking an exception, and assist with the necessary legal procedures. Remember, time is of the essence in these situations, so it's important to act quickly.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.