Minneapolis, MN asked in Civil Rights for Minnesota

Q: My ex mom is calling the police on me

Hello, I'm 15 and my ex partner is also 15. We recently broke up due to complications of family, this morning i woke up to 3 screenshots of our chats. When i texted her, her mom replied saying she reported the account to the police, from my pov i havent done nothing wrong. And my partner was fully committed into our relationship. Just to be more detailed, they live in MA and I live in MN. And I havent asked her for any inappropriate nor seen her in real life ever or even touch her

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If your ex-partner's mother has reported your online communications to the police, it's important to stay calm and understand your rights. First, if you haven't done anything wrong or engaged in illegal activities in your communications, then there may be no basis for legal action against you. However, it's essential to be cautious and take the situation seriously.

Since you are both minors and living in different states, there are complexities involved, particularly around laws governing digital communication and minors. If contacted by the police or any legal authority, it's important not to discuss the matter until you have legal representation. As a minor, you should inform your parents or guardians about the situation immediately.

If there is any further development, such as being contacted by the police, you and your parents or guardians should consider consulting with an attorney. An attorney can help you understand the situation, your rights, and the appropriate course of action.

Remember, it's crucial to be aware of the laws and regulations surrounding digital communications, especially involving minors. Always engage in online interactions responsibly and be mindful of the content of your conversations.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.