Marietta, GA asked in Criminal Law for Georgia

Q: What happens if a victim in a case does not provide something that the prosecutor asked for?

If a victim was asked to turn over phone records to the prosecutor when asked and did not , is that the victim’s right or must the victim comply with what the state asked?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Morris "Mo" Hugh Wiltshire Jr.
Morris "Mo" Hugh Wiltshire Jr.
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Watkinsville, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Victims have specific and individual rights conveyed by statute additionally, and as a general matter, no one can be forced to voluntarily give evidence to the State whether that is testimony or physical evidence. If the State wants to obtain items of evidence of a physical nature they have access to the subpoena power to seek its production. Concerning phone records a subpoena can be sought or law enforcement can use a search warrant to attempt to secure evidence but no one is forced to consent to a mere request from the State.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.