Indianapolis, IN asked in Civil Litigation for Indiana

Q: Can I have a car on my property towed to someone else’s house? It is not my car, I know whos car it is.

He is not responding to me, I know where he is staying at.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: Towing a car that does not belong to you to another person's property without consent can lead to legal issues. Even if the car is on your property, you generally don't have the right to move it to another private property without the car owner's permission.

Your first step should be to notify the car owner in writing, if possible, giving them a reasonable deadline to remove the vehicle from your property. This establishes a clear record of your request and their failure to comply.

If the car owner does not respond or remove the vehicle, your next step would depend on local laws and ordinances. In many places, you can legally have the vehicle towed to a public impound lot, but not to another private property.

Before taking any action, it might be wise to consult with a legal advisor or your local law enforcement. They can provide guidance on how to proceed in accordance with local regulations and avoid potential legal complications. Remember, handling this situation legally and properly is key to avoiding unnecessary legal troubles.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.