Downingtown, PA asked in Civil Rights, Family Law and Juvenile Law for Pennsylvania

Q: Hello. I’m 17, homeschooled, live in PA, and I have a job. I want to move out but I’m afraid my dad is going to say no.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If you're 17 and considering moving out in Pennsylvania, it's important to understand your rights and responsibilities. Legally, you're still a minor until you turn 18, and your parents or legal guardians have the authority to make decisions about your living arrangements.

However, open communication with your dad is key. Try having an honest and respectful conversation with him about your reasons for wanting to move out and your plans for independence. This may help him better understand your perspective and potentially support your decision.

Consider discussing your job and your ability to financially support yourself once you move out. Demonstrating your maturity and responsibility can go a long way in gaining his trust and approval.

It's also advisable to research your options and ensure you have a safe and stable living arrangement lined up if your dad agrees to your move. Keep in mind that while you may want to move out, it's essential to weigh the practicalities and potential consequences before making a final decision.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.