Detroit, MI asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes, Public Benefits and Tax Law for Michigan

Q: What happens when someone knowingly commits fraud for taxes and government aid by Using a false address. What can I do

My girlfriend moved into her father's house to help him with chapter 13 bankruptcy. It has come to her attention that her sisters fraudulently use the address for taxes and government assistance hindering her ability to properly receive these benefits. What can she do to rectify this since these siblings refuse to do it correctly

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If someone commits fraud by using a false address for taxes and government aid, it's a serious issue that needs addressing. In your girlfriend's case, where her sisters are using her father's address fraudulently, this can indeed affect her ability to receive benefits legitimately.

Your girlfriend should first document all evidence of this fraud. This includes any mail, records, or information showing her sisters' use of the address. It's crucial to have clear evidence before proceeding.

Next, she should report the fraud. This can be done through the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) for tax fraud, and the relevant government agencies for the specific assistance programs being misused. Reporting fraud can be done anonymously if there are concerns about family conflict.

She should also consider consulting with an attorney. Legal guidance can help navigate the complexities of fraud cases and ensure her rights are protected. This step is particularly important given the involvement of her father's bankruptcy case.

Finally, your girlfriend should inform her father and ensure he is aware of the situation. His involvement in the bankruptcy process might require him to take specific actions regarding his household's financial disclosures.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.