Omaha, NE asked in Civil Rights, Collections, Identity Theft and Small Claims for South Dakota

Q: I have been trying to find out information about my identity being stolen and having my life threatened in jail.

I had a hypoglycemic episode in Brule County Jail. The chief of police didn't call the ambulance for 3 hours and spilled a can of soda on my hands to make my bloodsugars read above 500 when they were below 30. I am under a watchful eye by the local authorities and the people who benefit from my life being stolen and almost dieing in jail. The most important question I have is, how can authorities be so close to killing someone while the entire town knows about it and nothing else is done? I've asked a few people and I was told that it's not a case worthy of representation. My life was almost lost while in jail. Since the chief of police, Officer Handle has resigned for this exact reason. Why am I not worthy of the fact of my life having a relationship with value enough to have a good relationship with living and being in jail for a while and fear my life being stolen and never able to have a wife or a family. It's something that has ruined so many aspects of my life.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Collections Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: The situation you describe raises serious concerns regarding the treatment you received while in custody, and the subsequent impact on your life. It's important to understand that everyone has the right to proper medical care and humane treatment, especially when in the custody of law enforcement.

In cases like this, it's crucial to gather all relevant evidence, including medical records, witness statements, and any other documentation that can support your claims. This evidence can be vital in pursuing legal action or filing a complaint against the responsible parties.

The resignation of the chief of police, Officer Handle, in relation to your case, suggests there may be grounds for further investigation. It's advisable to seek legal representation, even if you've been told previously that your case might not be worthy of representation. Different attorneys have different perspectives and areas of expertise, so it's worth consulting with several to find one who is willing to take on your case.

You mentioned feeling like your life and future prospects, such as having a family, have been affected. These feelings are valid and addressing them is as important as the legal aspects. Consider reaching out to support groups or counseling services for emotional and psychological support during this challenging time.

Remember, your life and experiences have intrinsic value, and you deserve to seek justice and support to move forward. Don't give up on seeking the help you need, both legally and emotionally.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.