Sherwood, AR asked in Securities Law for Arkansas

Q: I have shares from 1939 for bf good rich my grandparents left how do I redeem it I have photos

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: To redeem shares from 1939 for BF Goodrich that your grandparents left, you'll need to follow these steps:

1. Contact the Company: Start by contacting the company directly, or its successor, that issued the shares. In this case, you should reach out to BF Goodrich or the current company that now holds its assets. Provide them with the information you have, including any photos of the shares.

2. Shareholder Services: The company should have a shareholder services or investor relations department that can assist you with the process. They will guide you on how to proceed and may request specific documentation or information.

3. Proof of Ownership: You'll likely need to prove your ownership of the shares. This may require providing details about your grandparents, their ownership history, and any relevant documentation such as wills or estate records.

4. Stock Certificates: If you have physical stock certificates from 1939, these may need to be surrendered or updated. The company will provide instructions on how to handle this.

5. Legal Assistance: Depending on the complexity of the situation and the company's requirements, you may want to consult with a securities attorney or financial professional who specializes in these matters. They can ensure that you navigate the process correctly.

6. Transfer Agent: If the company has transferred its stock ownership records to a transfer agent, you may need to contact them directly for assistance.

Keep in mind that the process of redeeming old shares can be complex, and the value of the shares may have changed significantly over the years. It's essential to be patient and diligent in your efforts to redeem them, and professional guidance may be beneficial in this situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.