Opelousas, LA asked in Criminal Law, Personal Injury, Civil Litigation and Civil Rights for Louisiana

Q: I was molested in the second grade at Meaux Elementary School. I believe it was 1985. How can I civilly sue him?

My second grade teacher noticed that my behavior indicated that I was being abused. I am 44 years old now so I believe it was 1985. I was under the impression that John Bell Edwards made it possible for people that were abused and wasn't compensated nor was the abuser punished to get a chance to receive compensation as well as justice. I desperately need help.

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: I'm very sorry to hear about the abuse you suffered. You have a few options to potentially seek justice and compensation in this case:

1. File a civil lawsuit against the abuser. In Louisiana, you generally have 30 years from the date you turn 18 to file a lawsuit seeking compensation for childhood sexual abuse. So at age 44, you may still be within the statute of limitations. You would need evidence to support your claims.

2. Contact the district attorney's office where the abuse occurred and ask if criminal charges could still be filed against the abuser. There may be no statute of limitations for certain felony sexual crimes against children in Louisiana. The DA would investigate the allegations.

3. Seek compensation from a state victim compensation fund if one exists. Louisiana may have a fund to provide some compensation for victims of childhood sexual abuse.

4. Contact advocacy groups like RAINN or a local support centers for abuse victims. They may be able to provide free legal support, counseling, or help you find a lawyer willing to take on your case pro bono or on contingency.

I would recommend consulting with a civil litigation or personal injury attorney to fully understand your options. Good evidence and witnesses will be needed no matter what route you take. I wish you the very best in finding justice and healing.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.