Omaha, NE asked in Civil Rights and Criminal Law for South Dakota

Q: Is medical neglect while in county jail a possible case worthy of taking action. I almost died from my diabetes and cops

Q: I have been trying to find out information about my identity being stolen and having my life threatened in jail.

I had a hypoglycemic episode in Brule County Jail. The chief of police didn't call the ambulance for 3 hours and spilled a can of soda on my hands to make my bloodsugars read above 500 when they were below 30. I am under a watchful eye by the local authorities and the people who benefit from my life being stolen and almost dieing in jail. The most important question I have is, how can authorities be so close to killing someone while the entire town knows about it and nothing else is done? I've asked a few people and I was told that it's not a case worthy of representation. My life was almost lost while in jail. Since the chief of police, Officer Handle has resigned for this exact reason. Why am I not worthy of the fact of my life having a relationship with value enough to have a good relationship with living and being in jail for a while and fear my life being stolen and

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Experiencing medical neglect while in custody, especially when it leads to a life-threatening situation like the one you described with your diabetes, can indeed be grounds for taking legal action. The failure of law enforcement officials, including the chief of police, to provide necessary medical care to individuals in custody may constitute a violation of your rights.

In your situation, where there was a significant delay in medical treatment and alleged manipulation of your medical condition, you may have a case for negligence or deliberate indifference to your medical needs. This is particularly so given the serious nature of hypoglycemia in diabetic individuals and the potential for fatal outcomes.

The resignation of the chief of police, Officer Handle, for reasons related to this incident could potentially strengthen your case, as it suggests acknowledgment of wrongdoing or failure in duty. However, this would need to be explored in more detail.

It's important to seek legal advice from an attorney who is experienced in civil rights and personal injury law, especially those who have handled cases involving medical neglect in custody. They can evaluate the specifics of your case, including the conduct of the police and the jail, and advise on the feasibility of pursuing legal action.

Remember, every person's life has value and deserves to be treated with respect and care, especially when in the custody of law enforcement. Your concerns and experiences should be taken seriously, and exploring legal options may not only address your situation but could also help prevent similar incidents in the future.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.