Palm Harbor, FL asked in Estate Planning, Real Estate Law and Probate for Florida

Q: Can a beneficiary (NOT a court-appointed PR) be reimbursed for estate related expenses?

I was named the PR/executor in deceased's will. Will was submitted to the court. Formal probate was initiated, but then before I was named PR, it was converted to summary administration (there is no court-appointed PR in summary administration) because the only asset needing probate was the exempt homestead property. I paid over $60k in funeral, burial, HOA fees, insurance, utilities, repairs, supplies, moving, packing, cleaning costs associated with this house in preparation for the sale. Can I be reimbursed from the proceeds for half of those since the only other beneficiary (50/50 split of house) paid ZERO?

1 Lawyer Answer
Lauren Nagel Richardson
Lauren Nagel Richardson
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Gainesville, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: I often have this conversation with clients after summary administration. In your situation, your last opportunity for reimbursement of estate related and real estate related expenses is at the time of the real estate closing. You are going to want to provide proof of payment of these expenses to the closing attorney/title agent and ask that you be reimbursed as a seller's cost. The other seller will have to approve of the closing statement with your costs listed on there, but if they don't, then your remedy is to hold up the closing--so hopefully you will be able to negotiate the payment of these expenses as a seller's cost and be paid off the top before the net amount to seller is divided 50/50.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.