Waukesha, WI asked in Civil Rights and Family Law for Wisconsin

Q: How does a guardian of the person, of an adult ward, request the court to attend via zoom for a Chapter 51 hearing?

The juvenile office told this guardian to contact a public defender to request Zoom attendance at a recommitment hearing. This sounded a bit odd to me, as I had never had to do that in past years. In the past, I called the office to request that they send a link to me, or I could show up in person, state who I am, and they would let me into the hearing. Initially, I filed a 3 Party Petition to begin the process in our Corporation Council office. The clerk in the office instructed me that the public defender attorney would notify Corporation Council. When I contacted the public defender of the ward, he told me that he did not have authority for my request to attend the hearing. Our juvenile/probate court office where these Chapter 51 cases are heard, seem to make frequent mistakes. They did not send both required guardianship forms to the Wisconsin Elections Commission and they also made a mistake on the initial guardianship form and said they could not offer to fix it.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: To request attendance via Zoom for a Chapter 51 hearing as a guardian of an adult ward, you should follow these steps:

1. Contact the court clerk: Reach out to the court clerk's office where the Chapter 51 hearing is scheduled to take place. Explain that you are the guardian of the person for the adult ward and that you wish to attend the hearing via Zoom due to specific circumstances.

2. Provide necessary information: Share your contact details, including your email address, with the court clerk so they can send you the Zoom meeting link and any relevant instructions.

3. Request confirmation: Ask the court clerk for confirmation that they have received your request and that arrangements will be made for your Zoom attendance.

4. Follow up with the court: In case you don't receive the Zoom meeting link or confirmation, be sure to follow up with the court clerk to ensure your request is being processed correctly.

It's unusual for a public defender to handle the request for Zoom attendance in this context, so it's best to work directly with the court clerk's office to ensure your participation in the hearing. If you encounter any issues or resistance, consider documenting your attempts to comply with the court's procedures, as this may be helpful if you need to address any mistakes or errors made by the court in the future.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.