McDonough, GA asked in Family Law and Child Support for Georgia

Q: what can i do about child support making mistakes that cost me my license and 40,000 in debt I'm not responsible but for

i was incarcerated in another county when my court date came up for determining the amount i would pay but none came and took me to court and they just put some number down that was incredibly higher than made or ever made and then wouldn't even look at it for another almost 3 yrs ...

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Alake Colwell Furlow
Alake Colwell Furlow
  • Dacula, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: For the last 3 years the court expected you to pay the child support ordered. Two years after the order you could have filed for a modification. But a court is likely going to enforce the arrears balance for support that has accrued and not been paid. You can hire an attorney to try and negotiate payment of arrears and assist you in getting your license back. But it’s too late to go back and attack the order that originated when you weren’t in court.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.