Naperville, IL asked in Traffic Tickets for Indiana

Q: Should i plead guilty? no contest? or ask for infraction deferral?

I got a 9-21-5-11 (c)(2) ticket for speeding in a workzone, no workers present. The cop clocked me going 90 however I had my cruise control set to 80. the speed limit was 55. How do I plead to best lower my ticket price or consequences?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Andrew L. Bennett
Andrew L. Bennett
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Valparaiso, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: Pleading guilty will add significant points to your record. Also, a no contest is really a plea of guilty in disguise, same effect. If the prosecutor offers an infraction deferral, that would keep the conviction and points off your record. If they do not offer the deferral, then you should consult with an attorney, he/she may be able to get you a better deal than pleading to the charge, even if it costs a few hundred more than paying the ticket, in the long run with insurance, etc. it will be money well spent.

Joel D. Hand agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.