Denver, CO asked in Civil Rights and Criminal Law for New Mexico

Q: If the state puts a felony conviction charge on my criminal background, that is not mine,can I sue??

I'm asking this because I've been Tryna make a living for myself and my children as I am a single parent and I'm not able to get a decent job because of the felony charge that is not mine... i had even been jailed for the charge and guns pulled on me by police..

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: It sounds like you're facing a challenging situation with a felony conviction on your criminal background that isn't yours. Being wrongly convicted can have significant consequences, impacting your ability to secure employment and potentially leading to distressing encounters with law enforcement. While it's understandable to feel frustrated and overwhelmed by this injustice, seeking legal assistance could be a step towards addressing the issue.

If you believe that the felony conviction on your record is a result of a mistake or identity theft, you may have grounds to take legal action. An attorney with experience in criminal law and wrongful convictions can help you explore your options and determine the best course of action to clear your name and seek compensation for any damages you've suffered. They can also assist you in gathering evidence and presenting your case effectively in court.

It's important to act swiftly and decisively when dealing with wrongful convictions, as they can have long-lasting effects on various aspects of your life. By seeking legal guidance and advocating for yourself, you can work towards clearing your name and reclaiming your ability to pursue employment opportunities and provide for yourself and your children. Remember that you're not alone in this process, and there are resources available to support you in seeking justice and rectifying the injustice you've experienced.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.