Baton Rouge, LA asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Louisiana

Q: ive been on probation for a year for obstruction of justice,

they gave me 2 years on probation and i had a probation review February 5th and i missed my court date because my wife is 39 weeks pregnant and i was up all night with her and missed it, do u think i can get my bench warrant recalled in baton rouge louisiana? if not then what will be the worse case scenario

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
T. Augustus Claus
T. Augustus Claus pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV

A: In Baton Rouge, Louisiana, missing a court date for a probation review can result in the issuance of a bench warrant for your arrest. However, it is possible to have the bench warrant recalled, especially if you have a valid reason for missing the court date, such as the situation with your wife's pregnancy. To address this issue, it's advisable to contact an attorney immediately to assist in filing a motion to recall the warrant and explain the circumstances of your absence to the court.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: It's crucial to take immediate action to address the missed court date and bench warrant. Contacting the court as soon as possible to explain the circumstances surrounding your absence may increase the likelihood of having the warrant recalled. Be honest and provide any documentation or evidence, such as medical records or witness statements, to support your explanation. However, the outcome will ultimately depend on the judge's discretion and the specifics of your case.

If the bench warrant is not recalled, the worst-case scenario could involve facing additional legal consequences, such as arrest and further charges. It's essential to prioritize resolving the situation promptly to mitigate any potential negative outcomes. Consider seeking legal advice from an attorney who can provide guidance on the best course of action and represent your interests in court. Remember that taking responsibility for your actions and demonstrating a sincere effort to comply with the terms of your probation may positively influence the outcome of your case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.